Visit:  |  Call us: 800-842-7804

Other Ways to Give

Other Ways to Give

There are several ways you can impact the lives of poor Catholic communities in America. Let us help you discover the best way your gift can make a difference.

Qualified Charitable Distribution (QCD)

Many supporters of Catholic Extension with an IRA find they have money saved away that they might not need. Direct transfer of funds from an IRA to Catholic Extension via a Qualified Charitable Distribution (QCD) is an effective way to reduce taxes while strengthening the Catholic Church in poor communities across the country. You simply instruct your IRA administrator to transfer the amount of your gift directly from your IRA to Catholic Extension.

Some rules to keep in mind:

  • You must be age 70 ½ or older.
  • An individual may transfer up to a total of $100,000 per year, and a married couple may give up to $200,000.
  • Your gift must be transferred directly from the IRA account to Catholic Extension.
  • Because your gift is a direct transfer of funds from your IRA to Catholic Extension, it does not create taxable income for you and is not considered a charitable tax deduction.
  • If you are 72 and older, the transfer of funds counts towards your annual Required Minimum Distribution* from your IRA.

Learn more about Qualified Charitable Distributions

If you are interested in this popular way to support Catholic Extension, download a sample letter for your IRA administrator here.

* Congress has waived the annual Required Minimum Distribution from IRA Accounts in the year 2020 as part of the CARES Act in response to COVID-19. Please consider seeking advice from your financial advisor or tax professional to understand how recent changes to laws governing retirement plans may impact you and your charitable gift.

Life Insurance

If you have a paid-up life insurance policy that you no longer need, you can make a large gift at little to no cost to you and help to foster the light of God’s love to Catholic communities in need. You can transfer ownership of the policy to Catholic Extension or name us as a beneficiary.

Transfer ownership: Giving a life insurance policy to Catholic Extension during your lifetime can help support poor faith communities in one of two ways. We can cash it in and use the proceeds immediately. In some cases, it might make more sense to retain the policy until maturity, and we would use the death proceeds to support our mission in the future. When you transfer ownership of the policy to Catholic Extension during your lifetime, you may receive an immediate tax deduction.

Another option is to take out a new life insurance policy and name Catholic Extension as owner and beneficiary. This allows you to receive a charitable deduction for any continuing premium payments you make (in the year the payment is made).

Beneficiary designation: Naming Catholic Extension as a beneficiary of your life insurance policy is another way to make a gift that is easy and costs you nothing now. It can be as simple as contacting your insurer and completing a Change of Beneficiary form.

Gift of Securities

Transferring stocks, bonds, and mutual funds that have appreciated in value is an excellent way to create your legacy with Catholic Extension. You may claim an immediate income tax deduction for the full, appreciated value of the securities (up to a maximum of 30% of your adjusted gross income) and avoid paying the capital gains tax on any increase in value.

Here’s how it works:

  1. Inform your broker in writing that you wish to give appreciated securities to Catholic Extension. View our stock transfer instructions to provide specific information your broker will need to know when transferring your securities.
  2. Please let us know in advance that you have initiated a transfer of securities to Catholic Extension by contacting Steve Bochenek at (312) 795-6062 or This will help ensure efficient transmittal and proper acknowledgement of your gift for income tax purposes.
  3. Instruct your broker to include your name in the delivery instructions so that we can give you the proper tax receipt and accurately identify your gift.

For electronic transfer of stock, instruct your broker to transfer your shares directly to Catholic Extension’s brokerage account using the information below:

J.P. Morgan Private Bank
10 S. Dearborn, Floor 11
Chicago, Illinois 60603
(877) 576-3026

DTC Participant Number: 0902
Credit Account Number: P72500

FFC: Q67498008

FFC Account Name: Catholic Church Extension Society of the United States of America
Reference: [Your Name Here]

To send cash donations to Catholic Extension, instruct your broker to wire your donation to Catholic Extension account below:

J.P. Morgan Chase Bank

ABA: 021-000-021

Account Number: 816370746

Name: Catholic Church Extension Society of the USA
Reference: [Your Name Here]

I’m here to help! Please contact Steve Bochenek at (312) 795-6062 or for all general inquiries regarding wires, stock, and bond gifts.

Donor Advised Fund

A Donor Advised Fund (DAF) is often administered by a financial services company or a community foundation. It allows you to combine the most favorable tax benefits with the flexibility to easily support Catholic Extension.

Recommend a Grant Now

During your lifetime, you can recommend a grant from your donor advised fund (DAF). If you would like to make a gift now through your DAF, simply click the link below to find your fund:

Designate Remaining Funds

You can designate one or more beneficiaries to receive the remaining contributions in your DAF after your lifetime when you create or update your fund. We hope you will consider naming Catholic Extension as one of the final grantees of your fund.

Please make sure to use the following information:

Legal Name: The Catholic Church Extension Society of the United States of America
Federal Tax ID number: 36-6000520

To learn more, please contact Julie L. Turley, Vice President of Development, at (800) 842-7804 or

The information presented is not intended as legal, tax, or other professional advice. For assistance in charitable estate planning, please consult an attorney for legal advice or the services of a qualified professional.